Friday, May 15, 2009

Friday, May 15th, we visited with a lovely lady named Cath Wallace for our first formal lecture setting. Cath has been an advocate for environmental issues for most of her time on this Earth now, and her stories and lecture was quite humbling. I realized how ignorant and nieve I truly was in the struggles that New Zealand faces currently, as well as in the near future. I do not believe that any books that I could have read would have prepared me for the intricate details of New Zealands issues as elloquently as Cath reiterated them.

Our second meeting was with Herb Christopher, a senior advisor for the New Zealand DoC or Department of Conservation. Obvioiusly a very motivated and inspired gentleman, Herb again addressed some of the issues that Cath spoke of, but seemed to be sticking more to solutions rather than problems. I respected that. I can tell from both of their lectures that a task of this sorts is quite daunting, but every little step in the right direction is a reward that can not be measured in Eearthly terms.

Most of the topics covered pushed the spectrum of Environmental Politics, a subject that I truley have no interest in. I become quite frustrated when this topic arrises because of the apparent issues and the seeming lack of will to confront theses by political bodies. It really puts in perspective what one who chooses this life is up against. I have the upmost repsect for any folk that have the determination to dedicate their life to this.

All my thoughts on that for now, cheers!

1 comment:

  1. Laura, Stef, Shelly, and Ebert completely agree with Justin. We feel that it takes a special person to go through the struggles that those two advocates go through on a daily basis. The determination that they have is amazing and really does put life in to perspective. Cath Wallace had mentioned in her talk about being the voice of change. In a nutshell she stated that if you want to change something you need to have a voice and start the change. We are going to take that message back with us to the states and try to become more vocal and active for changes that we want to see happen.

    ReplyDelete